A reconstructed corner of the historic castle wall of Eindhoven will be visible on the corner of Vestdijk and Ten Hagestraat.
Between 1420 and 1676 there was a castle at the current location of ‘t Zusje restaurant in the center of Eindhoven. This castle had an important role in the history of the city. That is why the municipality wants to recreate a reconstructed corner of the old castle wall, with a fictitious well and a bench.
The initiative for the construction of this wall comes from the municipality of Eindhoven and the Kempen and Peelland archaeological association. The plans to make a reference to the castle have been around for some time. The idea came about a few times after excavations to the medieval castle were done in 1985, 1989, 1990 and 1992. Because the Vestdijk area has undergone major renovations in recent years, the municipality now thinks it’s time to make a visible reference to the castle wall.
The corner of the castle wall is about 4.5 by 4.5 meters and more than a meter high. In addition, there will be a reference to the historic well that was on this site. A small layer of water remains on the steel lid, so that it looks like a real well. A heritage sign will be added to the bench to be built, with information about the historic site. The design of this historic site is in the hands of Eindhoven-based architect Harrie van Helmond.