Foreign driving licence or how to get a Dutch driver’s licence

If you have a foreign driving licence and you wish to drive a motorised vehicle in traffic in the Netherlands, you may need to have an international driving permit in addition to a valid licence issued in a foreign country.

Temporary stay in the NetherlandsIf you do not live in the Netherlands but you do participate in traffic in the Netherlands, you may need to have an international driving permit in addition to a valid licence issued in a foreign country. This is dependent on the country in which your driving licence was issued. The rules are as follows:•[nbsp][nbsp][nbsp] Driving licence issued in the EU/EFTA If your driving licence was issued in a European Union (EU) Member State or a European Free Trade Association (EFTA) country it will always be valid in the Netherlands.

•[nbsp][nbsp][nbsp] Driving licences issued outside the EU and EFTA If you have a driving licence that was issued by a non-EU or non-EFTA country, at some driving-licence checks you may have to produce an international permit as well as a valid foreign driving licence. An international driving permit is a translation of your driving licence and is available from recognised automobile associations. The Dutch embassy in the country in which you live can give you more information about the situations in which an international driving permit is necessary and where you can apply for one.Living in the NetherlandsOnce you become a resident of the Netherlands, you can still make use of your foreign driving licence for a certain period. This period depends on the country in which you obtained your driving licence. After this ‘transition period’ has elapsed, you must obtain a Dutch driving licence.Exchange a foreign driving licenceIn certain cases you can exchange the driving licence that you received outside the Netherlands for a Dutch driving licence. This is only possible if you are registered as a resident of the Netherlands and you have a valid residence permit.Those who qualify for the 30% tax ruling, you and your family members, are able to exchange their current driving licence for a Dutch driving licence. To apply for the exchange of your driving licence under this rule, you will need to bring the following items to the municipal office desk (Stadskantoor) for driving licences:•[nbsp][nbsp][nbsp] Proof that you qualify for the 30% tax ruling (letter from the tax office)

•[nbsp][nbsp][nbsp] Your passport and/or residency permit
•[nbsp][nbsp][nbsp] Passport photo
•[nbsp][nbsp][nbsp] Current driving licenceYou will have to purchase an “Eigen Verklaring” a CBR statement of health form at municipal office desk. Then you have to fill in this form and if you haven’t any problems with your health send it at the specified address. If you have some problems with your health please make an appointment with your family doctor and only then send this one. After you’ll get an answer from a CBR statement, you have to go again to the municipal office with all necessary documents and apply for Dutch driving license.Please note that your original driving license will not be returned to you.

For more info: or

Your advertisement here.
Previous articleNew legal fees for residence permit family reunion
Next articleLucky Strike!

No posts to display


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here