The uncertainty about the future of the ailing Muziekgebouw continues. There was to be more clarity on Tuesday evening, but this did not happen.
Local political parties, as well as staff from the Muziekgebouw, expected more clarity. Last month, Councillor Monique List also pointed this out. But there was only disappointment when, on Tuesday evening, it was revealed that the City Council had not taken a decision. It could certainly still take weeks before a decision is reached, Councillor List says.
Following the advice of a working group made up of representatives from the Municipality, the province and the Muziekgebouw, the City Council was to come up with plans on how the annual deficit of over EUR500,000 is going to be eliminated. But there were no plans. Opposition parties have nothing good to say about this. “Outrageous”, Marco van Dorst, of D66 (Democrats), says. Dré Rennenberg of the Ouderen Appèl (Elderly Appeal) agrees with him. “There were plans promised, but there is nothing at all. Sad”.
According to the Muziekgebouw’s employers at earlier demonstrations, nothing else can be cut. According to them, the institution would lose its position as a leading concert hall. Arnold Raaijmakers of the coalition party PvdA (Labour Party) sees cutting back as the ultimate solution. “The problem is in the business. Maybe the institution is producing too little revenue, the programming is too expensive, or the institution could still cut back on costs”.
The Muziekgebouw can count on extra millions from the Brainport Region Deal. But there is an important condition; the concert hall must first be financially healthy.
Translated by: Bob
Edited by: Melinda